Monday, August 23, 2010

Can't have your cake and eat it too


Another birthday party and no cake or ice cream for me (despite how tempting they were- thanks Leah and Ryan). I have probably been to 5 or 6 parties so far this year and now we are coming into birthday season, at least for my siblings.

Not eating desserts and candy is not really as hard as it might sound. It is simply the price I pay to live longer and be healthier. I equate things to a simple decision tree: Do I want to life for an additional 5 years or do I want this piece of cake? Do I want to be able to wrestle on the floor with my great-grand-children or do I want this ice cream. Although one piece of cake or one bowl of ice cream is not going to cost me 5 year of life or wrestling with my great-grand-children, in the long run it will. For me I have to categorically eliminate certain foods otherwise I have a hard time drawing the line.

Since starting this lifestyle, I am down 30 pounds and I feel good. I have substituted desserts and candy with grapes, berries, and watermelon etc and I can tell you I don't miss the desserts one bit.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious, do you see this being a longer than 1-year experiment? Perhaps more of a lifestyle? It sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my lifestyle, although I may add back in a certain kind of dessert next year, dark chocolate for example. But the objective is to live to be 100. I hope to take a step toward healthier/more fulfilling living each year.

    ReplyDelete